So Friday saw me head to The Royal for my fistula operation (a vein surgically joined to an artery for dialysis access.). 

The surgeon that I specifically asked for had been doing transplants all night so he couldn’t perform my surgery.  I was a bit disappointed as I trust him implicitly and he is very reassuring.   But what a fantastic reason for not being able to do my surgery! 

Anyway I was first on the list and taken down about 9am!  I was out to sleep and little did I know I was going to be stubborn.  The surgery took 4 hours instead of 1 and a total of 3 people!  The surgeon was confident that it had worked and another doctor came to check for a bruit (the buzz to show it’s working) they found it but it was deep.

I was in recovery for 2 hours and the nurse kindly let my parents in to see me, which is unheard of.  I went back to the ward for a couple of hours and was violently sick 3 times but thankfully I was allowed home that night.  I don’t remember the journey home and that night was a bit of a blur.  I have slept a lot the past few days, having a long anesthetic has effected me. 

I went to my local doctors yesterday for an organised dressing change,  the scar is really neat but my hand is severely swollen.   I went up to the hospital today for someone to check it.  Initially it seemed positive as the surgeon who had performed the operation saw me and used a Doppler to find the flow, he seemed reassured but sent me for an ultrasound scan that would be more indepth.  The lady doing the scan hinted that there was a clot in it and that it might not work, but told me to come back in 4 weeks for another scan.  

I got home from the hospital and received a phone call saying the operation had definitely not worked.  To say I’m gutted is an understatement, the pain, swelling, scar and after effects of the anesthetic are all for nothing and I will have to go through it all again.   I will have another vein mapping scan but options are limited due to previous fistula operations and scarring, I may have to have a graft that’s a small piece of plastic inserted into my arm for access.  Anyway that’s not for another 4 weeks and then another op will be scheduled after that.   There’s Not much I can do but it means dialysis will be delayed.  I Will leave you with some photos and the addition of my new scar.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s